Two years ago Randy and I set out on a hike in the northern part of Ontario. Little did we know that we would soon stumble across the king of all medicinal mushrooms, Chaga. We hadn’t planned to foraging that day, but forage we did. When we set out on the trails we had nothing but snacks in our packs and our doggie by our side. We left with weighted down packs and a heart full of gratitude, the abundance and generosity of nature truly fascinates me.
Chaga is a mushroom with an extraordinary history . The birch loving mushroom, is an ancient remedy that has been valued for its many health benefits for centuries. It’s toted as “King of Medicinal Mushrooms” rated number one on Traditional Chinese Medicines list of most powerful healing plants on Earth. You will find it on wounded or dying white birch trees in North America, Sibera, Asia and Europe.
- 3,300 BC: Evidence from Otzi the Iceman shows that Chaga was used by people towards the end of the Stone Age.
- 3,000 BC: Legends tell of an amazing birch fungus (Chaga) found in Western Siberia that has been used for health concerns.
- 2696 BC: Medicinal Mushrooms are classified by the Shen Nung Pen Ts’ao Ching among the “Upper Class” herbs, as the “King of Herbs” and “Gifts from the Gods”
- 1000 BC: Chaga is used throughout Asia. In Traditional Chinese Culture, Chaga was used to balance the body’s Chi and enhance immunity.
- 15th Century AD: Use of Chaga and its health benefits are documented in Russian folklore.
- 1955: Chaga is approved for use by the Russian Medical Academy of Science for supporting healthy immune system.
- Chaga is rich in Vitamins A, C, B, D, and E and minerals such as manganese, iron, calcium, zinc, and selenium. It also contains potent anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-candida, and anti-parasite properties – WOWZA thats a lot of Anti-bad things
- Chaga is food for our immune system. When we feed our immune system we become more capable of detoxifying and are more capable of fighting off infection.
- Chaga is an Adaptogenic mushroom, which simply put, is an action that helps to bring the body back into balance.
- One of the most Powerful Antioxidants on the planet! Chaga contains the highest level of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in the world which is an enzyme that promotes the breakdown of free radicals
- Combats Cancer – Chaga is one of the best sources of betulinic acid which is known to kill cancer cells on contact.