As a Holistic Nutritionist, I get asked a lot of the same questions. One of the most common questions is “If you could only recommend one thing to improve overall health, what would it be?”. That’s an easy one – DRINK MORE WATER!
Most People are Chronically Dehydrated
My Nutritionist friends and I joke that if the general population would just drink more water, we’d likely be out of a job. Ok, thats exaggerated but seriously, most people are chronically dehydrated.
I remember a time in my own life when I lived off of Diet coke, coffee and juice. I just didn’t drink water, it never dawned on me that I should. Today, knowing that our bodies are made up of more than 70% water and literally depend on adequate hydration to sustain life, I drink around 3 Litres a day.
Every cell in your body relies on water to function
Water to your body is kind of like your postal service carrier is to your mail, it transports and delivers nutrients to every cell in your body. It serves as the body’s transportation system and when we are dehydrated things just can’t get around as well. It also picks up the “mail”, carrying away accumulated waste products from cells. As your body produces cellular waste products, your water based fluids carries the waste from the cells to the kidneys via the renal artery for excretion via urine. If these waste products are allowed to accumulate in the body, they would become dangerous to the body’s health.
Water’s benefits don’t stop there.
- If you don’t drink water, you will die. Sounds dramatice but its tue! Water is that important.Depending on our environment, we can live only a few days without water – maybe a week.
- Increased Energy and brain function Your brain is strongly influenced by hydration status. Studies show that even mild dehydration can impair many aspects of brain function.
- Perform better. Proper hydration contributes to increased athletic performance. Water composes 75% of our muscle tissue! Dehydration can lead to weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance.
- Make your skin glow. Regular water consumption can improve the color and texture of your skin by keeping it building new cells properly.
Drink water BUT make sure its Clean water
Chlorine, heavy metals, industrial chemicals, agricultural contaminants, fluoride, and even prescription medications are the biggest reasons why I choose to filter my water. The Environmental Working Group has identified 316 chemicals in American tap waters, 202 of which aren’t regulated. Sounds scary, right?
Not only is filtered water better for your health, it tastes better too!
I use the Big Berkey Water Filtration System
The list of reasons why I chose to filter my water using the Berkey water filter is long, so I’ll narrow it down to my top 5 reasons below.
- I was living in a rental at the time and so I wanted something that was portable and didn’t have to be installed.
- The berkey comes with optional (which I bought) fluroide filters, that removes 95% of fluoride content.
- It removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents to undetectible levels. It also reduces nitrates, nitrites and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs….which many filtration systems remove.
- Black berkeys filter out Chlorine to undetectable levels.
- Its cheap (ish) – for less than $400 delivered we received the unit, two black filters and 2 fluoride filters – Black berkey filters have 3,000 gallon life, thats a lot of water!
There are a lot of options out there, do some research and choose what works best for you and your family. Refer to this guide to help make your decision, it outlines all of the various water filtration system options for every budget!
Wishing you Good Health and Happiness,