Hello heat wave! Holy smokes, summer has arrived in the T.dot, the six, T.O., The big smoke…whatever you want to call this glorious city, one thing is for sure, summer is upon us!
For me, Summer brings out a very playful, childlike side of me. I’m outside whenever I possibly can be. Playing softball, catch, walking the dog, participating in yoga at High park, cruising on my sweet bike, frolicking at local famers markets and of course, theres a patio sprinkled in here and there.
Not only do my activities change, but my cravings do as well. When it’s as hot as it has been (I’m talking 31C, but feels like 39C) I crave less meat. Sure, there are days that I want to fire up the BBQ and grill up some meat, but most of the time, I crave a light, plant based diet.
My first taste of a variation of this recipe was on a hot summer day, on the patio of Fresh Restaurant on Queen street. It was a $17 Buddha Bowl. I was super satistifed by its delicious flavour, but less than satisfied by its cost. So off I went on a mission to recreate that Buddha Bowl.
I’ve made many variations over the past 3 years, but this one is up there as one of my favs. I hope you enjoy this well balanced meal as much as I do!
- Equally as delcious served over rice, soba noodles, Zuchini noodles or millet.
- If you don’t have limes, use lemons or Apple cider vinegar in place.
- Diced Tomatoes and bean sprouts are yummy topping additions
- Great served cold the next day for lunch
- Sauce will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.